At Baxenden St Johns, we provide a high- quality Geography education which aims to inspire in pupils a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people.
Geography Intent at Baxenden St John’s
By the end of KS2, children at Baxenden St John’s will have developed and expanded their knowledge of geographical places, processes and features, through a broad curriculum that involves practical experiences. Our curriculum builds from the foundations created in EYFS and KS1 to develop all children’s knowledge and skills whilst gaining an important understanding of our British geographical values to help our children ‘be the best that they can be’ and to understand their place in the world.
National Curriculum 2014
Our Geography curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop contextual knowledge of the location of globally significant places
- understand the processes key to physical and human geographical features of the world and how these change over time
- develop geographical skills needed to collect, analyse and communicate with a range of data gathered through experiences of fieldwork
- interpret a range of geographical information including maps, aerial photographs and Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- communicate geographical information in a variety of ways